Remember: everyone in the classroom has a story that leads to misbehavior or defiance. Nine times out of ten, the story behind the misbehavior won’t make you angry.
It will break your heart.Annette Breaux
Trauma Informed Practices
Online Resources for Caregivers/Parents
- ADHD and You – ADHD information and help for home, school, etc.
- ADD.org – Support for a like minded community
- www.aacap.org – contains consumer-friendly definitions, answers to FAQs, resources, expert videos, and publications about ADHD.
- http://chadd.org – A nonprofit organization that serves individuals with ADHD and their families. CHADD has over 200 local chapters throughout the United States that offer support for individuals, parents, teachers, and professionals.
- www.aacap.org/Autism_Resource_Center – contains consumer-friendly definitions, answers to FAQs, resources, expert videos, and publications about Autism.
- http://autism.asu.edu Arizona State University – Autism / Aspergers Research Program
- https://www.autismspeaks.org Autism Speaks is a leading autism science and advocacy organization, dedicated to funding research into the causes, prevention, treatments and a cure for autism; increasing awareness of autism spectrum disorders; and advocating for the needs of individuals with autism and their families.
- http://www.aspergersyndrome.org A resource for families, individuals, and medical professionals who deal with the challenges of Asperger Syndrome, Autism, and Pervasive Developmental Disorder/ Not Otherwise Specified (PDD/NOS).
www.aacap.org – contains consumer-friendly definitions, answers to FAQs, resources, expert videos, and publications about anxiety.
http://www.adaa.org/living-with-anxiety/children – Anxiety and Depression Association of America
www.aacap.org/AACAP/Depression_Resource_Center – contains consumer-friendly definitions, answers to FAQs, resources, expert videos, and publications about depression.
Black dog video – Four-minute video describing depression symptoms and treatments.
www.aacap.org/Bipolar_Disorder_Resource_Center – contains consumer-friendly definitions, answers to FAQs, resources, expert videos, and publications about
Jar of Water Demonstation – One-minute explanation about mindfulness.
3 Minute Breathing– Three-minute Breathing Exercise for relaxation.
Waterfall – Three-minute waterfall relaxation video.
Three-minute mindfulness meditation – guided relaxation video
Guided meditation for parents and children – Mediation for parents and child to do together.
o tuolumne.networkofcare.org Local Substance abuse information and resources.
o http://www.samhsa.gov Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services
o http://www.drugabuse.gov National Institute on Drug Abuse
o http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/youth/index.htm Youth Tobacco Prevention
5 Steps to help your troubled teens – Parent and Teen resources page
positive_language.pdf Use Positive Language to Improve Your Child’s Behavior
http://www.parenttoolkit.com This toolkit will help you navigate your child’s journey from pre-kindergarten through high school. It is designed to help you track and support progress at each stage.
sleepfoundation.org Sleep problems/disorders are prevalent in children. Poor sleep can lead to mood swings, behavioral problems and cognitive problems that impact their ability to learn in school.
webmd.com/parenting/guide/sleep-children – How Much Sleep do Children Need?
http://kidshealth.org/parent/ – Website for children’s health and development.
That’s not cool – Child and parent friendly site about stopping bullying
Bars and Melody song about Bullying – Britain’s Got Talent Anti-Bullying song
Stop Bullying – Federal government site about stopping bullying
The Choice – be a buddy not a bully video – YouTube video about how Bullying affects students
To This Day poem – You tube video poem about bullying
o Sexting and Social Media
Common Sense Media – Good media resource for parents. Tips on social media usage, app/game/movie/etc. reviews, blog, videos…
www.atcaa.org To help individuals in Amador and Tuolumne counties toward self-sufficiency. “People Helping People”
Center for a Non Violent Community – Education, resources, and counseling for survivors of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault.
Ices agency.org Infant/Child Enrichment Services, Inc. was created to provide a variety of child care and parenting support services to families in Tuolumne and Mariposa counties.
Early-childhood-services Head Start Pre School information
Mentoring-Works Mentoring Works matches caring adults in a One-On-One relationship with children ages 7-17 identified as at-risk, to serve as friends, guides, and positive role models.
tuolumnecounty.ca.gov Tuolumne County Youth Centers
http://www.tcsos.us Tuolumne County Superintendent of School Office